Publication Ethics and Malpractice Statement Guidelines
Editorial Duties and Responsibilities:
The editorial board is the only responsible side for approving the publication of the scientific researches or article papers submitted to Sulaimani Journal for Engineering Sciences SJES. Papers submitted to SJES are evaluated and reviewed to ensure that they meet all the criteria of publication terms and conditions regardless of race, gender, religious backgrounds, ethnicity, nationality, and political philosophy. What is taken into consideration is the scientific value, ethical criteria of work, scientific research integrity, language, citation and plagiarism. The editorial board panel is committed to improve the scientific sobriety of the journal through the publication of researches according to their importance, clarity, originality and their accordance with the terms and conditions announced to the researchers.
The chief and the members of the editorial board panel undertake not to disclose any information related to submitted documents or papers to the journal except those necessary information authorized by the authors, editors, consultants and publisher.
Disclosure and Conflicts of Interest
It is not permitted for the chief or the members of the editorial board to use any information stated in the unpublished documents or papers for their own scientific researches except by having a written permission from the original author of the research.
The research’s reviewing by the arbitrators helps the editorial panel to make the appropriate decision concerning the research. Furthermore, the reviewing process may help the author to improve his/her research. The editorial board panel is committed to give the arbitrators the regulations, standards, and the level of sobriety of the documents and papers accepted for publications in the journal. The editorial board panel is also committed not to disclose the names of the arbitrators unless with a written consent by the arbitrators themselves.
It is necessary for the selected arbitrators to notify the editorial board panel, in the appropriate time, of their inability and wish to apologize for arbitration.
Standards of Objectivity
The objective criteria in arbitration is a must and the personal judgement concerning authors is not allowed and disregarded. The arbitration must be reinforced by clear opinions and scientific arguments and it must be in accordance with the regulations and approved criteria of “publication terms” of the journal.
Acknowledgement of Sources
Arbitrators must notify the editorial board panel by the non-compliance of the author with the standards of publication in the journal and to make sure of the aptness of the references with the sources and that the sources must match the ones listed in bibliography. It must be ensured that the views and arguments presented do not belong to other researches. Arbitrators must alert the editor of the existence of similarity or overlap between a manuscript submitted to the journal and other published researches.
Disclosure and Conflict of Interests
It is not allowed to use any information and ideas stated in the arbitrated manuscripts by the arbitrators for personal purposes, competitive interests, or any other interests, and wouldn’t be taken into consideration when reviewing a manuscript of any of the authors, institutions, or companies involved.
Researcher(s) must comply with the regulations and disciplines of “publication policy” and the writing style approved by the journal. Criteria of accurate manuscripts must be provided through clarity of the aim, presentation of results in an accurate and sequent way, discussion of these results to fulfil the aims of the research along with object justification of the method of research. The manuscripts should be enhanced with work details as well as with modern scientific references. Researches should not include results stated in other researches. Inclusion of results that are forged or stolen is considered unethical and unacceptable behavior. The researcher should sign a pledge concerning the above items (click here)
Multiple, Redundant, or Concurrent Publication
Researchers should not send their work to more than one journal; otherwise, it would be against the discipline of the publication. It is not permitted for researchers to submit a manuscript being evaluated to another journal which has its own policy of publication. In case of submitting a manuscript, a researcher can retain the published material.
Authorship of the Paper
Specific names of the authors must be given, those who have made significant contribution in the research including idea of the research, design, implementation, and writing. One of the authors must be appointed as a coordinator to be in contact with the journal. A final approval should be given for the final version of the manuscript submitted to publication (the pledge).
Disclosure and Conflict of Interests
Researchers should reveal financial support or any other kind of support provided for them. Also, they should reveal any financial conflicts or other issues that affect the results or the interpretations of the research.
Fundamental Errors in Published Works
Researcher(s) should notify the editor or the publisher in case of misstatements in the material of their manuscripts in order to do the needed corrections in the misprinting forms. When authors discover a significant error or inaccuracy in the published research, they should inform and cooperate with the editor or the publisher of the journal in order to undo or correct their researches in the misprinted form.
Sulaimani Journal for Engineering Sciences operate with a so called “double blind” peer review policy. This means that the reviewers of the paper won’t get to know the identity of the author(s), and the author(s) won’t get to know the identity of the reviewer. The reviewing process will be within 14 working day and the reviewer will submit its report to editor so the editor inform the author(s) to apply the correcting and respond to the reviewers notes with in 7 working days and after that, the editor will send the author(s) response to the same reviewers as a second version to check and give the final decision(s) weather to accept or reject. The reviewing processes will be based on scientific importance , scope, update and the originality of the submitted articles and papers ..
Publishing Instructions for authors
Types of Research Papers
The journals board is publishing three issues annually including the following engineering fields: architectural engineering, civil, electrical, mechanical engineering dams, water resources, and computer engineering as well as accepting participation for publishing in the journal in the following:
1. Postgraduate research papers,
2. Analysis of specialized books,
3. Research papers of a scientific mission,
4. Reports on scientific conferences or reports on seminars, according to a recommendation from the chief of the editorial board.
1. The Journal accepts innovative research papers in all fields of engineering, which has never been published or submitted to any other Journals or conferences. The method of research published in the journal is by submitting the papers to the journal's editorial board for the verification and the appointment of three academic assessors, based on periodical meetings.
2. All papers will be submitted for review to assess their content for publication and documentation. The Journal accepts all research work for publication after they have been evaluated by academic assessors for validity to publication, with reviews and suggestions. The research may be sent to the researcher for amendments and corrections. The chief of the editorial board can send the research to another assessor in case of any conflict of opinion between the assessors.
3. The researcher/researchers will be given an issue copy of the Journal, in which their paper has been published in, and three separate copies of their printed paper.
The Presentation Method
1. The research should be presented, using four copies, three of them without any names. Written on one side of A4 paper, numbering all the pages provided that they don’t exceed 15 pages including appendices and references.
2. The research should be attached with the dated request form, signed by the researcher, confirming that it has never been published or presented to any other Journal or conference.
3. The research can be sent via the journal’s email address, provided its send as a pdf File and Microsoft word docx . The editor will subsequently inform the researcher of the validity of the research for publication or not as soon as possible.
Printing and Paper Dimensions
1. The article should be submitted (before publication) on a white printing A4 paper, using only one side of the paper under one column, and a 1.5 line space. A 2.50 cm margins are left on all sides of the paper.
2. For the purpose of unifying printing fonts, Microsoft Word is used or any subsequent version that is specified in the typical application. Times New Roman font is used for the English language and Simplified Arabic font for the Arabic language.
3. It is preferable that the number of titles is not more than three. The main title should be in the middle of the paper center justified, size 16 bold on the top of abstract, followed by the secondary title, also in the middle of the paper, with regard to the smaller titles and the names of researcher’s size 14 bold should be used.
4. In the English language, the other secondary titles should be on the left of the paper (left-to-right) using capital letters for each word, however, in the Arabic language, second title should be in the right (right-to-left).
5. A single space is left between paragraphs before each secondary and main title.
6. The script of research is written using size 14 in English or Arabic language, size font 12 normal is used for title regarding figures and illustrations.
Research Paper transcript
The research paper text should include the following:
1. A brief review of previously completed studies.
2. The problem, objectives, and hypothesis of the research.
3. The case study.
4. An ending that reflects the most important results, conclusions, and recommendations.
5. List of references and appendices.
1. The research title, researcher(s) name, scientific rank, university, department, and the E-mail are to be typed. There should be two abstracts, one in Arabic and the other in English. Using not more than 150 words
2. The abstract consists of the main paper index, especially the new important data. The research abstract comes directly after the title, with regard to the abstract in other languages, it comes after it, and the first page is designated for abstracts only.
3. Each article must have keywords below both abstracts (English and Arabic) and they should not exceed five terms.
Tables and Figures
1- The drawings are on one-column A4 paper; also the drawings fonts and numbers are to be printed clearly using size 12 font that is used in the article.
2- The tables and figures are to be placed within the paper script, and arranged sequentially, and every title of drawing or figure is to be accurate and sufficient, and that the title should not be placed in the frame. The figure title is to be on the bottom, in the case of tables it should be on the top. The Tables and figures are to be arranged by numbers according to their appearances in the script.
In general, reference citations in the text are to be in the standard (Author, Date, and Page) style. Under the “References” heading at the end of the manuscript, all references are to be presented alphabetically by the author’s last name in the following fashion:
a) Periodical citations in the text are to be in the standard (Author, Date, and Page) style. Periodical references are to be presented in the following form: author’s surname followed by a given name and/or initials, the title of the article, the title of the periodical, volume number, issue number (if available), year of publication.
Example: John, David, Engineering Conservation, Saturday Review, Vol. 45, No. 6, 2012.
b) Book citations in the text are to be in the standard (Author, Date, and Page) style. Book references are to include the following: author’s surname followed by a given name and/or initials, title of the book, city of publication, publisher, and year of publication. And should not use bookmark shortcuts for example: the Same Source, or the previous Source. (Ibid) etc.
Example George, Hamilton. Critical Approaches to Engineering. Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey: Prentice-Hall, Inc., 2012, 250-251.
c) Online References: Family name or author’s surname followed by a given name and/or initials, the year, the article title (on-line), journal title, Issue or website, pages, Link, city of publication, publisher, year of publication and accessed date.
Example David, John, 2012, Islamic Architecture in Egypt, (on-line), Engineering Journal, 12-13, www: http://www. Engineeringeducation.com, accessed date:20/02/2020
The article publication charge APC that the corresponded author should pay is (150,000 ID ) Iraqi Dinar during the submitting process of the research plus an extra (10.000 ID) per any additional page beyond the first 15 pages. This APC include the cost of research publication, reviewing, evaluating , assessment and plagiarism assessment . The APC will not be returned to the coresponded author incase of publication was rejected by the reviewers .