Effect of Yttria Content up to 15wt% on Mechanical Properties of Al-Y2O3 Composites Prepared Via Squeeze Casting and Powder Metallurgy Routes
Farouk M. Mahdi, Abd-Ulkader A. Annaz [Department of Mechanical Engineering, Tikrit University]
Received : 23/11/2014, Accepted : 3/6/2015
DOI Link: https://doi.org/10.17656/sjes.10024
In this study Al - (0-15 wt %) Y2O3 composites were prepared by both squeeze casting and powder metallurgy routes. It was found throughout this work that Vickers microhardness, compressive yield strength and wear resistance increase continuously with increasing Yttria content up to 15wt% despite the preparing method. Powder metallurgy composites showed higher hardness and compressive strength compared with those of squeeze casting. On the other hand, both squeeze casting, at squeeze pressure of 15 and 20 MPa, and powder metallurgy routes gave approximate wear rates except that of pure aluminum where squeeze casting specimens showed much lower wear rates than those of powder metallurgy. It was also found that squeeze pressure has great effect on grain refining and Chinese script microstructure evolution. XRD patterns reveal high level of harmful oxides and intermetallic compounds in squeeze casting composites as compared with those prepared by powder metallurgy technique.
KEYWORDS: Al-Y2O3 composites, mechanical properties, squeeze casting, powder metallurgy.
1. T. W. Clyne , P. J. Withers " An Introduction to Metal Matrix Composites " Cambridge Solid State Science Series , Cambridge University Press , PP. 1-7 , 2003.
2. Daniel B. Miracle and Steven L " Composites " published in 2001 as Volume 21 of ASM Handbook, Copyright © 2001 by ASM International .
3. Nikhilesh Chawla , Krishan K. Chawla " Metal Matrix Composites " Library of Congress Cataloging in Publication Data © 2006 Springer Science Business Media.
4. Joel Hemanth "Development and property evaluation of aluminum alloy reinforced with nano-ZrO2 metal matrix composites (NMMCs) "Materials Science and Engineering A 507, pp. 110–113, 2009.
5. Haitham Razouqi Saleh " Mechanical Properties of The Modified Al-12%Si Alloy Reinforced by Ceramic Particles " Eng. & Tech. Journal, Vol.28, No.2 , 2010.
6. .Muna Khedier Abbass "Study of Dry Sliding Wear Behavior of Al-12%Si alloy Produced By Squeeze Casting" The Iraqi Journal For Mechanical And Material Engineering, Vol.9, No.3, 2009.
7. Karl U. Kainer " Metal Matrix Composites " wiley – vch Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim, 2006 .
8. Nikhilesh Chawla , Krishan K. Chawla," Metal Matrix Composites" Library of Congress Cataloging in Publication Data Science Business Media Inc, All rights reserved ,Springer. 2006.
9. Rafael Menezes Nunes " Casting " published in 1992 as Volume 15 of ASM Handbook , Copyright© 1992 by ASM International .
10. Robert m.Jones " Mechanics of composite materials " second edition , Blacksburg , Virginia , 1998.
11. Mikell P. Groover " Fundamentals of Modern Manufacturing Materials , Processes , and Systems" 4th Edition, Copyright © 2010 John Wiley & Sons.
12. W.B. Bouaeshi, D.Y. Li "Effects of Y2O3 addition on microstructure, mechanical properties, electrochemical behavior, and resistance to corrosive wear of aluminum" Tribology International 40,pp.188–199, 2007.
13. Ramu Yarra, P.Venkatachalam, S.Ramesh Kumar, B.Ravisankar, K.Jayasankar, and P.S.Mukherjee "Densification of Al- Y2O3 composite powder by equal channel angular pressing" Transactions of the Indian Institute of Metals, Vol.63, Issue 5, pp. 813-817, 2010.
14. Hafeez Ahamed, V. Senthilkumar "Role of nanosize reinforcement and milling on the synthesis of nano-crystalline aluminium alloy composites by mechanical alloying" Journal of Alloys and Compounds 505, pp772–782, 2010.
15. Hafeez Ahamed and V. Senthilkumar "Consolidation behavior of mechanically alloyed aluminum based nanocomposites reinforced with nanoscaleY2O3/Al2O3 particles" Elsevier, Materials Characterization 6 2, pp 1 2 3 5 – 1 2 4 9, 2011.
16. Hafeez Ahamed ⇑, V. Senthilkumar "Experimental investigation on newly developed ultrafine-grained aluminium based nano-composites with improved mechanical properties" Materials and Design 37, pp. 182–192, 2012.
17. Li Changqing, Wang ZHenting, Zhang Mingfu, Zuo Hongbo,"Interactions between Y2O3-Al mixture studied by solid-state reaction method", Elsevier, Vacuum 87 pp 7-10, 2013
18. S.F. Hassana, Khin Sandar Tunb, M. Guptab "Effect of sintering techniques on the microstructure and tensile properties of nanoyttria particulates reinforced magnesium nanocomposites", Journal of Alloys and Compounds 509, pp. 4341–4347, 2011.
19. Khin Sandar Tun, M. Gupta "Improving mechanical properties of magnesium using nanoyttria reinforcement and microwave assisted powder metallurgy method", Composites Science and Technology 67, pp. 2657–2664, 2007.
20. Osama Sultan Muhammed " Optimization of The Squeeze Cast Y2O3/Al-Si Composites By Merit Rating", The Iraqi Journal For Mechanical And Material Engineering, Vol. 11, No. 3, 2011.
21. J. Kitamura, H. Mizuno, K. Sato, Gifu / Japan, Z. Tang, A. Burgess, BC/ Canada "Crystal and micro structures of plasma sprayed yttrium oxide coatings by axial injection of fine powder slurries", Fujimi Incorporated, Manuscript for ITSC 2010.